If you’ve got any sort creatively at all, then you could be sitting on a potential goldmine for making some great income on the side.
Forget your local craft shows!
These days, thanks to the Internet, crafters of all skills and talents have a unique opportunity to turn causal Internet browsers into potential customers. We’re talking, of course, about Etsy, a marketplace for handmade and unique, one-of-a-kind items.
Every day thousands of people are now learning how to start an Etsy shop and appeal to potential customers from all over the world. The ones that get really good at it learn how to take their hobby and turn it into some serious cash! Some people report making anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars per month.
But before you can begin making tons of cash selling items on Etsy, you first need to understand what it will take to open your shop. Here are six critical steps for getting started.
Deciding Which Crafts to Make and Sell:
Just like any good business, the first thing you need to decide is exactly what you want to sell on Etsy.
Browse through the top selling items and see what shoppers are actually buying. Also take note of which items are not selling. You don’t want to waste your time trying to produce things that aren’t in demand.
Assuming you pick crafts that sell well, it will be an excellent idea to start your shop with the ones you most enjoy doing for a long period. Do not start an Etsy shop with crafts that are too technical and you cannot make easily. You will run out of stock and your shop will be unstable.
Some of the highly demanded crafts you may need include:
Gift baskets. There is a great opportunity for sales when it comes to gift baskets. People will always buy gift baskets and if they are unique and beautiful. The kind of items you should include in the gift set should be wisely selected. Unique cosmetics and customized candies and cookies (ones that won’t perish) are a good idea to get your basket gifts liked by ladies.
Homemade toys. Mass industrial productions have become common and boring. Many parents want their children to have unique and homemade toys crafted from natural materials. If you can make dolls, investing your time in crafting this kind of products will give you tremendous sells.
Homemade jewelry. Copper earrings, beaded jewelry and seashell bracelets have never ceased to attract the attention of women. Homemade pieces of jewelry have the ability to sell more than the industrial ones due to the uniqueness and special design. Stocking your Etsy shop with the unique homemade jewelry will make your business bloom.
When choosing the kind of crafts to make and sell, do not fear competition from the industry. As long as your creations are different from all the rest, you will stand a better chance of standing out.
Picking a Memorable Shop Name:
- It should be short. People do not have time to read long names and memorize them so that they come back next time. A good name should have two to a maximum of three words.
- It should be easy to spell out. A good memorable name should be easy for anyone to spell. It will stick faster to the brain.
- It should communicate a message. Does the name of your shop convey a message to your customers? Is the message related to what you are selling? For you to capture the attention of you customers and make them remember your shop, make sure your shop has a name that conveys a message.
- Trademark. Ensure the name you use on your shop can be made a trademark. Remember to use the same name across all your shops in case you have more than one.
Creating Pinterest-Worthy Photos:
Pinterest and other social media form very good marketing strategy when used properly. And in particular – having the right photos can really attract the type of attention you’re looking for!
However, the kind of pictures you use on them can make your business a failure especially if you do not make them pealing. You can create Pinterest worth photos by:
- Taking your photos in good lighting. Do not take photos during the night because you are free. If you want to post a photo on Pinterest so that it can sell for you wait during the day when there is good white light balance. The flash on the camera cannot compete with natural daylight.
- Cropping your images. Cropping helps draw the eye of the viewer to the image or feature you want to show. This a feature used to drive the message on the picture home clearly. Do not leave the viewer wondering what you want to actually show on that photo.
- Add text. Adding catchy phrases to your photos can quickly add a touch of personality to the image. Canva.com is a great, free program that can help you accomplish this in minutes.
- Use tall photos and avoid wide ones. If you want to make a bigger presence on the Pinterest board, always make your photos longer. Wider pictures show up smaller on the board.
- Clear the background to focus the attention of the viewer on the image you want to show. Many people do not know this very nice technique. When you post a photo on Pinterest with many details in the background, the background overpowers the photo. You can alternatively put a white board behind your image and then take a shot. The image becomes clearer.
Setting the Right Price:
Setting the right price for your crafts is one of the biggest challenges to your new shop. Not only do you have to compare your cost of goods against your selling price, you also need to consider the Etsy seller fees as well as many other things.
Since you cannot simply “double the price” or “triple the price”, use these factors to help set the right price:
- Target market – What do you believe your audience is willing to pay for your crafts?
- Competitors price – How much are other people selling crafts similar to yours for?
- How much your crafts are on demand – If your crafts are high on demand, you may want to raise your prices.
- The market trends and conditions – If the market price goes down you need to lower your price and if it goes up, you raise your price.
- Your expenditure in making the crafts – Do not sell a craft at a lower price than you spend to make it.
Customer Service They Will Never Forget:
How good you treat your customers is one factor that will increase your Etsy shop referrals. Make your customers talk well of you! You can improve your customer service by:
- Know your goods. Always make sure you don’t mistake the price or name of one good to another.
- Say thank you and welcome. Gratitude is memorable. This will always make your customers feel your appreciation and they can come back.
- Show respect. Some customers can be annoying and this can result into bad emotions. Always show respect and treat all customers the same way.
- Be responsive. Giving your customer help on the information they need is going to make them free with you and to come repeatedly and will bring more customers.
- Ask for feedback and use it. Feedback will always help you know where you go wrong so that you can rectify and where you are good, you keep up and improve.
- Follow-up with emails. Be sure to follow-up each email with a subtle reminder of other good crafts your audience may be interested in.
Promote, Promote, Promote!
This point comes last but it holds much weight. You will only sell well if you promote your crafts.
Make sure to utilize:
- Your friends and family
- Social media – both your personal accounts and Etsy business ones
- Your personal blog – If you’d like help on starting one, check out our awesome guide here
- Advertising – perhaps trying Facebook ads?
Learn the tricks of how to sell on Etsy and you could turn your online store into a potential money-generating machine. Treat it like a real business and you’ll find yourself quickly ahead of the curve when it comes to making a great income on the side.